07 May 2007

Post Explosion

So apologies for the three rapid posts. The one right below this is kind of long, but make sure (if anyone actually reads this) to check out the one two posts down.

The previous post is my attempt at publishing a Google document directly to my blog. Turned out to be kind of a pain to get it to not be formatted stupid.

A little background on the story: This story is a collaboration between my friend Ben and I that we worked on using Google's online version of Microsoft word. It was a pretty neat experience. The software is nice for collaborative work, because it auto-saves as a revision about every 30 seconds while you are working on it (This might be changeable). It also allows simultaneous edits and keeps track of previous revisions for easy diffs and reverts. However it is still limited by the fact that it is a web interface.

I came up with this story during about half of an Explosions in the Sky concert (hence the title). It was an amazing experience. Anyway I told Ben about it right after the concert and he said I should write it down. Being the lazy guy that I am, I balked at the concept until he said he'd help me with it. So a few days later I wrote down everything I could remember about the story and sent the notes to him. Ben took the notes and composed the story below, adding his own ideas here and there throughout as well and the first draft was born. We then set up a Google document for it allowing us to make multiple revisions and leave comments without ever having to really communicate too much (we go to different schools).

The story itself is kind of weird. I'm somewhat interested to see what other people think of it. I may write more analytically about it in a later post. For now I think I've taken up enough of the blogger server space for one night. Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read most of your posts, and I'd comment on all of them, but I ain't got the time.

I do dig the Google documents concept, though. It's pretty neato.

Kevin said...

<3